4.14.2011

Week 14 - I Never Went To My Prom


Oh no, that poor girl from “Halloween” and “Terror Train” is getting even more grief from a psycho. Well, third time’s a charm.

The title sets us up quite well: “Prom Night.” A large portion of this film does settle in and around prom night at a high school in a town whose name we could have been given but I forgot it. It’s a lovely night (it sure is) and it’s a time for love and, yes, a modicum of naughtiness. But, not the amount of naughtiness that should eventually end in cutting someone’s head off.

Don’t cut people’s heads off. Unless it’s necessary. (And, I think the conditions that make it so are pretty extreme.) Here’s a hint from the film: Before decapitating anybody, anybody, check to make sure you’ve got the right person. It shouldn’t be too tough. It only takes a second. The face is on the front.

In this small town, in an opening flashback, a little girl is killed. Sort of accidentally falls out a window. Wouldn’t you know it? The four kids vaguely responsible are now in real trouble.

If, in your early life, you have done something like this: Keep your guard up. Especially during important social events. I suppose one eye on your back at all times may get a little obnoxious but these killers do hold a grudge so watch it!

A prom is a time of great fun. But, in converse fashion, it can also be a time for all sorts of death. I don’t want a psycho to cut your head off. I’m sure you have a similar feeling.

There’s a fat guy in the movie. He owns a van, he gets laid, he dies. All I can say is...my wish came true! Ever since that big, big sheriff in “Don’t Go In The Woods,” I’ve been pining for fatter folks to get good roles. Hey, fat people die too! Here it is folks! Ask and ye shall receive! Oh Yeah!

So, that poor girl is getting chased around again. Not as much as in “Halloween,” probably the same amount as in “Terror Train.” I sure hope that one day she can rest. I will tell you this, though, she does not die! Again. Maybe she could use a break. I think that would be nice.

So, what is this movie saying to me? The question had to come up sooner or later. I think I know. It seems to be “Don’t be a jerk and kill people.” But, I think that’s too crepitatious. The other thought I had (“The most innocent looking girl in the movie is probably going to show off her boobies.”) was too vague. After some soul searching, I pulled together what I thought this film taught me. Then, I lost the paper I wrote it on. It had something to do with using a larger ax to kill people. I’ll get right back to you...It was this: “One man can commit savage acts against people he knows in revenge but he is going to mess up before he kills the last one so make sure you’re that one. (It helps if you can be the boyfriend of the sister of the killer. Even if you did participate in the act.)”

The lessons these films teach can be very specific at times. This is, certainly, one of those times. But, I should hope, if you ever find yourself in this position, you deal with it accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment