6.09.2011

"The Redeemer" visits your class reunion



"The Spirit of '76!" goes on! And, frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it. I thought, if They (you know who I'm talking about) are making no more films, that's fine. Then, I would gladly go back and enjoy these "Old Time Classics". But, there was so much left to say. Every week there was something new. These old films seemed like time-wasters to me. Why was this happening? Luckily, I ran into Edgar, Snack Boy at the Rialto, who filled me in and set me straight. He told me that "Tinsel Town had run into some setbacks and had sent these films to fill a gap. The new ones would start up again in a couple weeks." Something about a "Celluloid Shortage". I told him that "I had no idea what he was talking about." He nodded, pointing out that sometimes the artistic side of the industry didn't always understand the financial hassles and concerns encountered on the business side. I divined this to mean that Hollywood was having trouble (?!). How could this be? Such a glorious & important coalition of artist in trouble? What was wrong with this picture? In my heart of hearts, I prayed that all good Americans would do now what they had done a thousand times before throughout our glorious history...rally behind the artists! Now more than ever, our best & brightest need your help. Hollywood is aching. Will you be the soothing balm?

The best way to help them? Get out there and support them by watching, and loving (No, cherishing), their old films. Let's do it!

I'll start with this: The Redeemer does the killing in this movie. This may not make him a very nice guy but, a very substantial but, he's just doing his job. You can't fault a fellow for that. And, this guy sure does his job well. With great panache and slabs of verve (Verve Slabs). It's a pleasure watching him go.

His killing cover is a high school reunion. The graduated class assemble (or at least 6 of them) at their old school: a strange, rectangular edifice that looks like it burst out of the ground in the center of an unkempt clearing. Boy, no wonder these kids are screwed up! They went to the most depressing high school in the U.S. Now, all boarded and barred-up, it's even more so. My Lord, in the middle of nowhere! Is this a fun place for the kids?

Apparently not, because it's been closed down.

Before the reunion: The crippled caretaker is shot dead by a "Stranger" who demands entrance. The "Stranger" takes over his identity. Making a plaster cast of Mr. Caretaker's face and doling out the invitations to the guests. The "Stranger" (ya know what, I'm just gonna give up and call him The Redeemer) The Redeemer sets up an elaborate meal and puts on some music and the six flow in.

A glutton, a flirt, a bitch, a lesbian, a preener and a hoarder. These are the folks and their types. I was going to talk more about them but, frankly, I don't remember much more about them. They are thrilled to see each other again and surprised that the deserted, ramshackle & crumbling building no longer houses their football trophies. They enjoy a yummy meal as elevator music plays, all punctuated by wet synth slaps.

Of course, I didn't mention any of the actual beginning. The child who rises out of the water and the bus that promptly comes to get him. The fact that the child has an extra thumb is a constant strangeness. The choir practice with the oddly bepanted boys enjoying a dirty joke. The mass for 14 people led by the Preacher preaching redemption LOUD! The shadow that falls on the sleeping priest in the belfry in his bed. And, the priest's new thumb. The Priest seems to become the Redeemer. Several people say that this film doesn't make a lot of sense...Liars. The Redeemer (Or "The Redemmer", as I keep spelling his name) rises out of the depths as a child to claim six souls. It goes into the body of the Priest (probably because he has a driver's license), arranges the reunion, kills and, with job completed, goes back into the depths. Thank you. Good night. The magic is that, after a first viewing, it seems like it might not make sense. I think it does.

The movie moves much swifter than most of the moderns. 20 minutes for set-up, 50 minutes of movie and 10 minutes of wrap-up. Very swift and to the point. They knew what they were doing here. It's neat as neat can be.

Going down another track, everyone here has sex. So, that's different from normal stuff. On homosexuality, I believe we're undecided. (This is a demon of some sort doing the killing so I'm fairly sure we're not supposed to support all of his decisions.) Some movies punish and some don't. To punish and kill for "Sins" is certainly the newest of touches. Or the oldest. It practically screams out that there's no running from it...Everyone dies. All six are killed. Burning, shooting (2), spear in the head, drowning and decap. It doesn't matter that two of the ladies are sweet...the Redeemer says they sinned. There you go. If Ronald McDonald were the killer, there'd be different criteria, I'm sure. The movie would have ended with Ronald decapitating the Burger King.

What a strange movie!

Very Old Testament horror. I'm glad we've gone beyond this because it doesn't really strike me right. The story just doesn't seem fair to me...what with the evil angel and the class reunion cheat. How'd he pay for their meal? You know and I know, Evil can win. But, what d'you do when the killer might be one of God's emissaries? Or is it a Fallen Angel?...Drat, I confused myself there. I need to take notes. The movie itself is interesting and creepy and I enjoyed it. It was just confusing enough that I was always interested. Then, when I figured it all out, what was going on, I though...Oh. Well then...

We have progressed considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment