6.02.2011

"Spirit of '76" Presents Savage Weekend


"The Spirit of '76!" continues! The journey through our cinematic past goes on with Savage Weekend!

(Queen Kong postponed again. They told me they lost the beginning of the movie. I can wait.)

Savage Weekend!

Oh boy. The title is absolutely correct. (Although, I believe the movie actually takes place over a 3-day holiday weekend. They fail to mention that.) Quite a few people get killed during this time. Fishhooks, circular saws, axes etc.

Let me just chubb you to the wall here with a touch of plot: A group of grown-ups go to a house in the woods. Someone is out to hurt them. More than once. ("Hurt me twice, not so nice," my mother used to say.) And, basically, that's the plot. But, as with all the best, that's only the surface. Let's lean in and smell the rest of this piece. Say, what's that odor? There's something a little deeper here, a little musky.

Here's my journey; here's our journey...

There's a gaym'n in this movie. He beats the crap out of a bar full of rednecks. He likes this one guy who likes this lady. Well, I'm not sure he (the non-gay guy) likes the lady so much as he likes her large boobies and squeezy behind. I don't watch dirty movies for review because that's a whole other world of world. I watch what Hollywood gives me and this week they've given me a heft dose of "Mama Sweet & Lovely". Usually, my noodle is under control. A lot of naked people pass by these eyes. Hell, there are times when I've been naked. But, normally, the nudity is all wound in the loom, as it were. Well, Savage Weekend and the "Nice Lady" have got me thinking Special Thoughts. The sort of thoughts that'll make a baby pop out.

Let me elaborate...The "Nice Lady" is in the film a lot and she's naked or in a state of "Erotic Undress" quite a bit. And, I enjoyed her nudeness. Her nudeness became quite a draw for me. I looked forward to her nudeness in the same way I'd look forward to the next murder or one of Aunt Clarine's trademark Ultra-Sloppy-Sticky Buns. So, what to do?

Two things:

First, keep in mind that this film was made "back then". The message is not new. The lesson of this film has been used already. But then, if Hollywood is on sort of strange hiatus and re-releasing this now (I'll try to get some skinny for next week), there must be something in it. I think. I don't know. Maybe it would be best to leave the lesson in the past.

Second, I confused myself with the first one. We'll just leave it there.

I'm not a "Sexual" man. Not that I don't enjoy it or that constant nudeness isn't something interesting to me. It's just never been a component before. So, in there, I believe, sits the true lesson: This re-release is nothing more than a lark. Enjoy the death; enjoy the killing; enjoy the nudity and sexos. But, while you enjoy, remember that it doesn't mean a thing.

Savage Weekend is no longer a viable chapter in the human condition. It is simply a spree. Why not squeeze it and see? All this week at the Rialto. Next week: Queen Kong!

No comments:

Post a Comment