7.07.2011

Sweet 16


Well, there's a new movie at the Rialto.

It's called Sweet 16.

And, some folks get killed in it.

There's a girl named Melissa (if I'm thinking of the right movie) who is turning sweet, sweet 16. I know what you're thinking, I saw the preview too, she actually might be 16x2. She doesn't look 16. I remember girls at 16. Melissa looks a lot older. More weathered or mature or whatever. She seems very experienced. In no way virginal like they try to insinuate. Or is she?

(I don't think so.)

People in this small town are lazy and hazy. They have a nice time. Until, the boys start to become interested in Melissa. Then, the boys start to die. A maniac of some brand is killing them. Why? Something to do with Melissa's innocence? Maybe, Could it be Melissa? Could be. Strange things are afoot in this town.

The Sheriff knows it. He's seen the dead people. The dead people somebody's been killing. Killing because of Melissa!

Or are they?

Probably. Maybe. There's the thing.

To me, this is the sort of film that really teaches a lesson. But, I'm gonna do something a little tricky this time around...

I'm not gonna tell you what that lesson is...

It's gonna be yours to gauge.

The Rialto's open all week. Go see it.

2 comments:

  1. I miss the days when they would cast 35 year-olds to play teenagers.

    I mean, they still get older people often times... but the people they used to get (in the 80's)didn't even LOOK young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev. D thanks for the comment.

    I had spoken to Cyril P. about this some time ago. I wondered if it had something to do with killing young characters played by young people versus killing young characters played by older people. Maybe the Ratings Board (or society) didn't object so much to all the killings of Young People if they were clearly played by older actors.

    Cyril burped and threw his beret at me. It was filled with pudding at the time so my pants were fudged. He said "The problem I had with older folks playing teens is that it made me very, very self-conscious when I was a teen. I kept thinking 'Cyril, look at the kids in these films...they're in high school...you're in high school...why are you so scrawny and small while they look so much older and mature? You're 16 and there's no way on This Green Earth that Melissa would give you a second look.' I couldn't answer myself. All I knew was that when I compared myself to Teens in these films I always felt like my growth (physical & mental) had been stunted somewhere. It was a load off when I learned the average age of these actors. But then, I had to wonder why I was so different from all my actual peers (physically & mentally)? That turned out to have something to do with the water in our town. But, that's another non-slasher/ non-Hollywood story."

    Cyril talks a lot but, sometimes, there's a point in there. Just call me Pudding Pants.

    Dan Budnik,
    speaking for the currently absent Cyril P. Drathmoor

    ReplyDelete