12.08.2011

I'll Have a Good Night

It's time for good things. It's time for the holidays. It's time for the Rialto's latest adventure To All A Good Night. Sit right back & let me place you in some context for all of this.

Christmas. A time of joy, a time of cheer, a time of wonder? Certainly. But, and this is a little known fact that this movie has brought to life, also a time for psychopathic killers, many of them dressed as Santa.

To me, this seems the Least Fair Time of year to pull something like this, especially at the Calvin Finishing School For Girls. A pleasantly set-apart place that seems nice enough. Sweet girls (pretty too) enjoying an active lifestyle. Robust boyfriends come to visit in their private plane. (Say, who brought the swank?) Every soul is enjoying the party when the aforementioned killer dressed as Santa Claus arrives & starts killing them.

Well, well, well, well, well, well, well, well, well, well...

So, you want to have fun on the holidays? Sure, we all do. But, you don't want to get killed? Well...ain't gonna happen.

Here's your death.

I don't mean to sound crass because I don't feel crass. When it comes to the holidays (especially Christmas), no other time of year excites my sensory perceptions more. I mean, my gosh, go to a good candle store and buy a dozen or more X-mas related candles. Get specific ones like Cinnamon or Egg Nog or some of the more "conceptual" candles like Christmas Morning & Holly Wreath. The memories those smells will bring to you can be pretty astounding. Some are specific (many of the fir related ones) but some are... they do a strange thing. There is one called Christmas Eve and when I smell it, it's odd... What does Christmas Eve smell like? This candle's odor conjures up memories beyond sensory. I think it's something to do with the name, honestly, maybe. The smell of the candle coupled with the name stir & draw up the memories of that time. (This is true because my memory is always vague before the name is known. A candle's fragrance can be enjoyed outright but due to, I guess, the limited amount of smells you can jam in candles, it works best when you also know the name. Your nose smells something but a push doesn't hurt.) It's strange. To smell each candle as it burns... Christmas. The day is not just one word, it is 100 different things vying for your mind's attention.

I don't bring the magic with me; it's already here when I show up.

Where was I?

Christmas and why it hurts.

I almost want to give away the ending so you'll have a happier Xmas. But, I can't. You really should get out there on your own.

Please.

I will add this... buy cinnamon sticks. Warm up your eggnog. Remove it from the stove right before boiling. Stir the Cinnamon stick around a bit. Be good, you snickerdoodle! Take the stick out & drink. Drink hearty. Life doesn't begin when you're dead. It starts when you're very much alive.

So, To All A Good Night. That was not a sentence, I know. But, it sums everything up in one big gulp. David Hess has never directed another film with such power. We shall forever miss the second chance he might have had. Jennifer Runyon takes my breath away. Maybe you're a jerk. Times during the movie when I was worried for Christmas Future. (Surely, we could hide in Christmas Past if need be.) But, here...

Christmas is OK!

It has some troubles but if gets there fine.

It does.

I love U all.

No comments:

Post a Comment