12.15.2011

Silent Night, Deadly Night?

If Santa kills your Mom and Dad on the way home from visiting Grampa in the Old Loon's Home, get a good therapist. No, get a great therapist. Having a nun yell at you & punish you all the time for being wicked & sinful doesn't help anyone. The Mother Superior in this film is the character I would have thought "Most Likely To Get Killed" (she's rather deserving) but she survives. I don't mean to sound crass but where's that comeuppance I've come to expect?

There ain't enough good Santas in the world to exorcise this one real stinker. The poor boy in this, Billy(?), is just wrecked. After the extended opening, we get an extended post-opening involving him as a youngster, traumatized by Christmas! Then, we get him grown-up and he is not well. In fact, he's nuts. So, he starts hurting people in a very serious fashion with assorted things that really hurt.

The man is crazy, the man kills. What're you gonna do? A lot of people kill or at least that's the opinion I'm forming. There's always a reason and a lot of the time I wish it'd stop.

It's not very festive, this movie.

As far as extremely pleasant notions of fruitcake and things... right out!

Ya know, I've never owned one of those little village things. You know, the fake snow all around and little green trees and fake homes and/ or business establishments named after characters from Dickens and you stack them all around so it looks like some sort of festive place you've never been. I always wanted to know what's going on in the houses. They always have second floors and I always want to see (or be) in there. I don't know why. Oh, whenever they have sled or ski runs with multiple levels, I always what to go down them. There was one called "Log Cabin" that was meant to be someone's home. (I stayed at a log cabin once for three weeks. I'm sure it was very interesting.) I like the "Log Cabin" because there's a little lake out front with a tiny boat in it. But, the scale of the boat is wrong. It's about 1/4 the size of the lake, which would make it ridiculous to have. Several good rows and you'd be on the other side. In fact, the size of the fake man who owns the property is such that he could probably leap across it or at least bounce once in the middle and go from there. I love these things.

A memory that is leaving me... Being in a knicknackeria in a cold town. A wall cabinet nook... three stories of these things. It's laid down with white cloth and flows from the first level to the very top. Shops on the bottom leading to the banquet halls and festive homes in the middle flowing to the ski lofts, sled runs & frozen ponds for skating up top. It's breathtaking. A miniature breathtaking. I stare at it for a very long time. it's glorious, I'd love to be there. But, I never will. This I know & understand.

But, that doesn't mean I don't want it very, very bad.

Well, Silent Night, Deadly Night? Santa kills some folks at Christmas. As far as these go, it's all right. Merry...

No comments:

Post a Comment